Add to Spotlight#
How to add a new dataset asset to Spotlight. Before adding a new asset to Spotlight, we highly recommend using the find tool to see if it has already been added to Spotlight. For details on how to add Workspaces or documents see the Add to Spotlight page.
You can add data to Spotlight using the button on the home page or using the button from inside a Workspace. Both methods will create a new dataset asset in Spotlight. If you add from inside a Workspace, Spotlight will create the new dataset and then also add a reference to it inside your Workspace so you can get started working with and transforming that data.
The "Data" option opens a dialog where you can choose to connect a data source system or upload files from your computer.
Choose the icon matching where your data currently lives.
For all data source systems, a new dialog will appear where you can supply information on how to connect to the data system. After that connection succeeds, you will be able to select the individual data table or data file you need from the connected system and finish adding it to Spotlight. Additional details on each supported system type are available on the Connect page.
For file uploads you will be able to open the standard file chooser on your computer or drag files directly into the Spotlight window. For details on supported file types, sizes, and other details, see Upload files.
Build a project Workspace#
How to create a new Workspace for your project then fill it with references to the data and documents to complete your analytics project.
Fill a Workspace
Fill a Workspace#
From the main Spotlight homepage:
- Select "Workspace". This will be your primary project space so give it a name that relates to your current analytics project. When you click your new Workspace will open.
- Click in the Workspace.
- Select "Dataset" so you can begin adding data to Spotlight.
- In the "Add Dataset" dialog, select whatever option matches the kind of data system or file you are using and follow the dialog prompts. This will add a new dataset to Spotlight and add a read-only reference to your Workspace.
Once you have gathered all the references you need for your project, can open them directly in external tools like Tableau or start creating new datasets that can be combined, filtered, and otherwise transformed to fit your analytic needs inside Spotlight.
Create data in Spotlight#
Create new dataset
Create new dataset#
The first step in creating a new dataset is gathering references to all the data and other analytic assets for your project inside a Workspace. Data can be in existing Spotlight datasets, you can connect new external data systems, or you can upload files directly to Spotlight (see Workspaces: References).
Once everything you need is in a Workspace, you can use the attached Workbench tool to transform the data you have gathered into the form that your project needs. In your Workspace, click the button then follow these steps from inside the Workbench:
- Click on an item in the Flow area to make it your active item. This can be a reference to data elsewhere in Spotlight or another dataset you have already created in this Workspace. Just make sure it has data you want to include in your new dataset.
- Your active item will be colored green and have have a button next to it. Clicking the green button will feed the data from your active item into a newly created dataset in this Workspace. You can also right-click an item in the flow and select the "Create Dataset" option from the context menu there.
- Your new dataset is ready! It can be edited with operations in the asset toolbox, used elsewhere in Spotlight, or opened in external tools for further analysis.
Your newly created dataset will become your active item and you will see an arrow from the flow item that is feeding data to your dataset.
Open in External Tool#
How to open a live connection to the dataset in Tableau. For instructions on opening a connection with Jupyter, downloading as CSV, and for additional background information, see the External Tools page.
Open in Tableau
Open in Tableau#
To open one of your Spotlight datasets in Tableau:
- Visit the dataset's detail page, or
- select it while in a Workspaces's Workbench, or
- Open the dataset's context menu in a Workspace and select the "Open in..." menu item
- Click the button.
Note that datasets representing file uploads or tables on external databases do not have buttons on their detail pages but can also be opened in external tools by adding them to a Workspace and using the Open in buttons in the Workspace's Worbench.
When you use the button on a dataset, your browser will start downloading a TDS file. To use this file just open it in a licensed copy of Tableau Desktop and a live connection will be automatically setup.
From Tableau desktop, you can publish a workbook with the live data to Tableau server.